Are you interested in enriching your education with an international experience? Western Illinois University offers its students a number of study abroad opportunities throughout the world, all of which are available to Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) students. Those who are interested in studying abroad may select from international opportunities in over 50 destinations, and WIU coordinates programs to fit any schedule – some may be as short as a week or as long as a full semester or academic year. In the past, many BGS students have successfully participated in study abroad, particularly within WIU’s faculty-led programs.
Faculty-led programs are short-term study abroad experiences in which a WIU professor travels with a group of students to a location abroad, typically during semester breaks or summer sessions. These programs offer coursework across a wide range of academic topics, and BGS students are welcome to participate in any of them. Many of this year’s faculty-led programs are currently accepting applications, so now is a great time to consider applying! Listed below are some of this year’s upcoming programs with their corresponding topics and travel dates.
· Development in the Andes; Business and Technology; May 12-25, 2014
· European Business Study; Business and Technology; May 12-25, 2014
· German History and Culture: Munich and the Bavarian Alps; History; May 12-26, 2014
· Transylvania: People, Culture & Pop-Culture; Psychology and Anthropology; May 2014
· WIU in Shanghai; Broadcasting; May 2014
· History and Culture of South Africa; History; May 20-June 5, 2014
· WISE Costa Rica; Spanish; June 2014
· WIU in Belfast; Political Science; mid-July – early August 2014 (3 weeks)
· Culture and Politics in Argentina; Political Science and Spanish; May 11 – June 1, 2014
In addition to spending time abroad, these courses typically ask students to participate in on-campus activities before or after their specified travel dates. BGS students are welcome to make Skype arrangements so they may fully participate in these events. Don’t miss out on all of these great international opportunities!
If you are interested in learning more about these faculty-led programs, or about any of WIU’s other study abroad programs available to BGS students, feel free to contact the Office of Study Abroad at (309) 298-2504, visit our website at http://www.wiu.edu/studyabroad, like our Facebook page: Western Illinois University Study Abroad, or follow us on Twitter: @wiustudyabroad. We’d love to hear from you!